.

Icon IconFollow Me on Pinterest Icon linkedin

.

.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Strange Language?

There once was a song written that illustrated the difference of pronunciation in speech. It was called 'Let's Call the Whole Thing Off.' By Louis Armstrong. It clearly demonstrated that pronunciation makes little difference in meaning.
However spelling makes a huge difference. Spelling has been on my mind since I found out that the way I was taught in PS to write the word dilemna is wrong???? According to all dictionaries out there the spelling is dilemma. Dilemma looks wrong after so many years of writing the word the other way. I am shocked! And a little perplexed.
How did my grade school teacher have the word so wrong? Why was the point that the 'n' was silent need to be driven home when clearly the spelling was wrong to begin with. And why after searching the web are there hundreds of thousands of people like me.
This is a mystery I intend to get to the bottom of. A mystery that if you stay posted you may have the answer to as well.



Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!

2 comments:

  1. I am very interested in what you find out. It is truly amazing that so many were taught wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, learned to spell the word that way dilemna and that was back in the US - a suburb of Chicago in the late 50's.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this blog :0)

Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML