.

Icon IconFollow Me on Pinterest Icon linkedin

.

.

Friday, August 8, 2014

For Better or Worse.


I am coming to the conclusion I can't stop it's in my gene's. I grew up with a pair of do it yourselfers and married one too. I am going to be honest here when I moved out as a younger person I would skip school to rearrange and redecorate my apartment.  I think I probably should have been listening to that and become a interior designer or something. Well fast forward a long way or rather a few short, very , very brief years to now. We've been living in our home for ten years and I can't stop. Something is always in a state of half finished or I am spending my time daydreaming about what I want to work on next. So while the cat's away....my hubby is working out of town currently. I broke out the paint.

 I decided I was tired  of looking at my 1980's oak cabinet's. You know the kind with the overly dark wood grain. So out came the Benjamin Moore folks and I enlisted my helpful minions aka my wonderful children. I bit the bullet as they say. With their help..well mostly my son's, my daughter is more of a hands off type..we removed the hardware. That was no small feat as I am not a fan of using screwdrivers. Then I set to work painting. Two coats of white, alkyd paint on everything.

 The next part was scary. I looked at the pristine white doors and pondered should I take that next step. I am either going to love it or hate it. I opened the brown paint and got my rag. Dipping the rag I ran around the doors willy nilly. And voila. Ugh...the white doors! That was my initial reaction. I was thinking perhaps I should just repaint them all white. I mean I bought two gallons of paint and only  used one. But it took so much work to do in the first place. I really didn't want to. So I let them dry and mounted them. I am now adjusting.

 Our counter top needs replacing so I don't have the full effect just yet. I did paint the walls a light green, a shade lighter then our dining room wainscot. It looks fresher, lighter and more relaxed. But I am not sure whether I love it or hate it. That's the woes of big jobs. Sometimes you do something irreversible like painting cabinetry and it's a bomb. Other times it works out in your favor. Either way I know with my genetic do it yourself gene I will likely be changing it in another few years anyway. So for now I think I will adjust and hope my hubby likes it more than my daughter does. She pulls no punches that one. "Mom I don't like it". "Well thanks for your honesty." But maybe next time wait until Mommy has cleaned the paint off her face." Sigh.



Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this blog :0)

Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML