.

Icon IconFollow Me on Pinterest Icon linkedin

.

.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Chore Talk.


Raising children is an ongoing task. For years I have been 'training' the kids to do this chore or that chore. We have used incentive programs and we have used various programs like the chore jar popsicle stick method  to get them involved. My view is if we are all home and making messes we all pitch in to keep things tidy and clean.
Finally after years of struggle I am seeing an end at the tunnel. Why? Consistency folks. It boils done to that one hard to follow rule. I am spending my summer 'vacation' from book work to train the kids to do their chores.
Get up, take care of pets (they each have one), have breakfast, get dressed, tidy rooms, and pick one or two voluntary chores that aren't something too simple. If they have clothes to put away they have to do that too. My goal is to have them get this done so that come September they can do it without prompting and they can do it speedily so we can hit the books before noon...dawdling seems to be a pastime here. I know it doesn't sound like a lot but when they have so much bookwork during fall/winter I didn't want to make it overly difficult. Also sticking to a routine should in theory make it easier for them to remember the steps to make the day flow more smoothly.
Now what that means is all the other chores will be left to me. Well I don't mind if I know they are doing their part. It's actually nice to see them pick out their chores for the day and do them without any complaining. Why because they have the freedom to choose. So yes somedays they may choose something as small as tidy couch cushions and other days it may be sweep the floors. My job now is to make a list of chores for them to pick from so they don't overlook certain things.
HTML Comment Box is loading comments...



Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!
Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML